Saturday, September 8, 2012

Where has Elizabeth been? The Wichita-Sedgwick County Museum


Actually I went to this museum last month, but I've been having trouble with my computer. That may even be why I haven't been around to visit all my friends. I get logged in, visit one or two friends, and before I can finish writing a comment, my computer seizes up and quits. I've run several (free) virus scans and found several viruses. I am not sure I have helped anything, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this post. We'll see if it goes through because I keep getting a notice of a .dll file that manages to recover.


Last month I took another Stay-cation. If you are new to my blog, you may not be familiar with my self imposed rules.

The self imposed rules:

1. Round trip must be less than or equal to 80 miles.

2. Must be achievable in a single day.

3. No more than $15.00 can be spent (does
NOT include fuel).

So I was off to this museum that is less than five miles from my home. I took so many photos (over 400 in fact) that it was difficult paring them down to around 100, which I will show over the next few weeks when I need a "filler" day.


You can see there are four stories to this place. It is incredible, and there was so much to see, I


was unable to see it all in one visit. In fact, I hope to go back sometime this month.


As you walk in, even before you pay, the first floor entices you with such beauties as this gorgeous cut glass.


I got my first history lesson of the day in another display case, this one on Native American memorabilia.


Flanking one wall was this beauty, while


this one was on the other. Obviously, the clock was not working when I took this photo.

How did I do?

1. Round trip must be less than or equal to 80 miles. Round trip was under five miles.

2. Must be achievable in a single day. I stayed a total of four hours, because the museum was only open from 1-5 on the Saturday I visited. I didn't even have time to visit the gift shop!

3. No more than $15.00 can be spent (does
NOT include fuel). Admission was $4.00 and I had to pay for parking, which was $2.00.

I'll be back with more of this stay-cation soon. I think you're going to LOVE this museum as much as I did, and I hope my poor camera doesn't deter you from enjoying some of these photos. There's so much here that should appeal to almost everyone.

Now let's see if I can post this before my system shuts down.

________________

6 thoughtful remarks:

Lisa Graham said...

I love The Wichita Historical Museum...it's so awesome!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm happy you were able to post. I think I would really enjoy this museum--I've always been interested in Native American history and art.
Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

SandeeNC said...

Darn computer!! Hey, is this the same museum that you got chased around for taking pictures in it? I can see you sneaking around with your camera now, lol waving hi from the chilly hills of North Carolina :)

Dianne said...

LOVE the cut glass and stained glass window! looking forward to seeing more photos soon. Hope your computer gets better...

Halle said...

Your title is perfect! I was thinking that exact thing when I opened my RSS feeds. Where has Elizabeth been?
Looks like a fantastic museum so far. Love that stained glass!!!

Rita A. said...

I had ancestors in that area. I'd love to visit but it's way more than a day trip.
I admire what you are doing.