Thursday, September 29, 2016

From the classroom to the playground


Welcome to my final Art Journal Journey journal entry.  Tomorrow I will show you the cover I created for this Back to School Journal.

Today we are starting in the classroom, then will move to the playground.

Sometimes the lines get blurred between play and learning, especially for the younger children.  However, in this classroom, the teachers have brought out toys that teach.

Music, math, painting, and book reading are all part of the classroom.

This little girl loves school.  She could be me, but I never wore glasses.

Being able to recite the ABCs was an important first lesson, as were drills, like fire drills.  These children have other drills they are performing.

Then there are the Teacher Resources, important for every instructor.  All of these are very important in the classroom.

Materials used include a standardized test for students as my background, a portion of G45 scrapbook paper from their ABC collection, two flash cards, music washi tape, a pink punched music note, two cards from a same/different game, two images from magazines, part of a file folder from a former teacher, and a strip of the alphabet.

Now let's head to the playground, where fun abounds.

We'll play on the slipper slide and swing on swings.  We'll even skip rope.  We may need a bandage or two in case we fall down.

Did you know that hop scotch is played the world over, but the general layouts differ depending on the country you live in.  This is a British layout, and is aptly called Plum Pudding.

We might even find a maze if our playground is large enough.

Regardless, we'll run and jump, chase each other,

and have lots of fun during play time.  On the other hand, some of us will create a bit of mischief.

For this side, I started with a maze that mostly got covered, another piece of G45 paper, also from the ABC collection, a same/different card, an image of British hop scotch found on the internet, a bandage, a punched bird, two magazine images, and a hand painted and stamped background I used as a matte.

Thank you for the chance to share this final journal entry with you for my Back to School month at Art Journal Journey.  I've had so much fun seeing how each person interpreted this theme, and I've learned a lot about different school systems, too.   I've even drug up some long forgotten memories.   It's been a genuine honor for Bleubeard and me to be your hosts during September.

But it's not over yet!  You still have time to join us as we head back to school, and I share my journal's cover tomorrow.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, I love this, so much color, movement and fun. That bandaid is the perfect finishing touch!

Sami said...

I remember playing hopscotch when in primary school, what fun!
Lovely pages Elizabeth.

Krisha said...

Love the pages today. I also remember playing hopscotch in grade school......but we played on our own sidewalks (when they finally put sidewalks in our neighborhood) and we used the British layout.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful pages again, which bring back more memories of fun and games as well as learning. You definitely get to be top of the class for being so creative and industrious this month, it's been real fun joining in and having you with us at AJJ. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Valerie wrote exactly what I wanted to say !
I can tell you that you are the "top to the class" hostess!!!
I love what you did the whole September! You were so creativ and such an inspiration for us all!
Thank you and I am really looking forward to the cover now!!!

oxo
Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

I always liked hopscotch, but you're right that mine never looked like the one in your picture. That might be a good activity to improve balance in the older folks, and include a dose of happy memories at the same time. I'm looking for exercise everywhere these days ;)

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I remember hopscotch, tether ball and chasing boys! Oh, and I used my fair share of bandaids since I was a tomboy!!!

Love the pages and how you mention every element you used to make it all come together - very fun!

Hugs,
Kay

Meggymay said...

Fantastic pages, I have read through the post twice so I didn't miss anything.
I remember the big wall we had in primary school where we played ball games, it was also used for football, when the boys chalked the goal posts on it.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I have so enjoyed seeing your pages for AJJ - I have learnt so much about education in the US and by seeing others pages and comments lots of other places too! I love these two final pages that give a wonderful overview of a school day! I have caught up and left you a question too! In answer to your question - we will be meeting up again at Happy Stampers in the beautiful setting of Port Sunlight! I am driver for two friends this time! We take it in turns! I will try to remember to take photos - I tend to get chatting and forget! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

Been a fun topic to see what everyone has made all month. :) Love the old illustrations you have used. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Everyone needs a a little play, especially kids who are working so hard in school all day. I think some play is good for their brains and helps them learn. This has been a super month, and I really enjoyed seeing everyone's ideas and pages. I can't wait to see your cover, and you're going to have a great little book about school. Hugs-Erika

chrissie said...

Such fun pages and it has been great to get to know you better over the last month Elizabeth

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Dianne said...

Wonderful vintage images and ephemera...great pages!

Anonymous said...

I always loved school, just like that little girl, except without the specs. xox