Friday, October 13, 2017

Halloween


Happy spooky Friday the 13th.  It's going to be a lucky day because I don't own a black cat or a bat!  Which leads me to the fact that today I'm joining Try it on Tuesday with their latest challenge, Halloween

When I tell people I don't make cards and I'm not good at stamping, it's the truth.  However, I tried to make a Halloween card for a very special friend who actually IS a stamper.  

One problem I have is I don't know how to effectively photograph a card.  This is a standard 5 1/2 inch X 4 1/4 inch card.

I made l2 of this stamped image before I got one that was barely acceptable.

I fared better with this one.  I got a decent image after four tries.

All four of these stamps are sold under a brand exclusively for Michael's (a big box craft store located in the U.S. and Canada).  Each of the stamps was $1.00 (USD).   They are all mounted and are red rubber. 

I stamped the images on German text and sewed the images using variegated shiny thread.

For the inside, I wasted three pre-formed cards and finally decided this was the best I was going to get.  This was a clear UM stamp, and didn't like Staz-on ink at all.   I used the same black ink on all the images.

Thanks for joining me today and please check out the other fabulous Halloween entries at Try it on Tuesday.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful Halloween card, the stamping looks fine on the book text. Thanks so much for joining us at TIOT, much appreciated. Have a happy and lucky day, I'm going to have a restful day as I did so much walking yesterday. Hugs, Valerie

Lula said...

Love your card Elizabeth!
Good idea to stamp and sew!
Thanks for sharing it with us at TioT this time.
Hugs!

Unknown said...

Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us . ตัง ถั่ง เช่า แคปซูล

My name is Erika. said...

That card did come out great Elizabeth. That's the beauty about stamps. Even the $1 make great images. I enjoyed seeing your card making and I especially enjoyed seeing your Halloween inspiration. Happy Friday. Hope it's a great day. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic Halloween card Elizabeth. Those stamps were a bargain.
I often would use a black pen to touch up word stamp images or even an outline of an image to give definition.
Thank you for joining the Halloween fun at TioT's.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I think you're too harsh on yourself. The card turned out great. I love the variation of the ink as it looks like light and dark shadows. The stitching adds so much texture. I would have just glued the pieces to the card. Your card is going to be a big hit.

froebelsternchen said...

The card turned out beautiful - the images on the old textpaper look just fab.
That's not your fault with the stamping -STAZ ON ink pads doesn't work well - they get dry soon... you have to often refill them or to fresh them up with rubbing alcohol and they make clear stamps stick forever . Ranger's Archival Black Jet Stamping pad is wonderful and does a great job for me since 14 years now. I bought a refiller a few years ago and I think I can stamp the rest of my life with it.
Works much better than StazON..
Staz On is just great to stamp on smooth surfaces like plastic or glass. But Archival Ink from Ranger in Black even is good on glass and plastic - you just have to heat set it carefully a bit to make it archival even on glass or plastic or fabric. I love it. My Staz On I use hardly ever.
Another tip - never tip the stamp into the stamppad to get it inked - but in reverse... dab the inkpad on the rubber carefully - you will see you get a much more defined impression.

I love the sewing on this card - makes it a unique and your clean sewing makes an extra nice design element! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday dear Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

If this is an example of you not being good at stamping, well you must be modest beyond understanding ;) This is a great Halloween card! Happy Friday the 13th, and may only good luck find you :)

SLScheibe said...

I think your stamping looks great! I've never managed to get the hang of it myself. But your card is lovely :)

Darla said...

Fun Halloween card and as always I like the stitching you use. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with stamping. I never seem to have the right ink - or I stamp so seldom that my ink pads dry out.

Linda Kunsman said...

what a great looking card!! I love how the individual stamps worked so well all together. of course stamping them on the text and adding the stitching really sets this whole card off. I know you're not so happy with the stamping but really it looks fine. Wish I lived nearby and could offer some tips.

Marfi-topia said...

Yay!
Happy Friday the 13th to you as well!
I love this card..you did an amazing job with it.
wow! the stamps are so cute!
Love it:)

Let's Art Journal said...

Your Halloween card is wonderful! The images and paper you used are perfect and I love your stitching - fang-tastic ...lol 😉. Wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Although I don't do a lot of card making, you did provide this quilter with a lot of inspiration for a quilt some day... I have bookmarked this post and made notes of the inspiration it gave me. Love the card! Have a great weekend.

Barbara said...

A friend of mine always sends beautifully decorated parcels for my birthday and at Christmas so this year I tried to do the same for her birthday. I bought the stamps and several different coloured inks and failed miserably! I had no idea it could be so difficult. You’ve done a beautiful job of it and have encouraged me to try again.

Rosie said...

A wonderful Halloween card, Elisabeth

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

nanskidrewski said...

I love your card. Stamping on the text is an awesome idea! And your stitching is always great! Super card🎃

chrissie said...

Terrific project Elizabeth with wonderful Halloween colours and images and beautiful stitching

Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Love the card -- I'd say your stamping is just fine!

Cindy McMath said...

This is a lovely card Elizabeth! I think your stamping is terrific, and the sewing adds a wonderful dimension. The Stayzon ink is not ideal for clear stamps - I think the alcohol reacts with the material the stamps are made with.